THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST: HOW TO WRITE A MOTIVATION LETTER
Before you start composing your motivation letter, there are few steps you shall consider:
- Do research the vacant position
- Find some keywords relevant for the proposed job
- Make a list of your most appropriate for the vacancy skills and abilities.
Your letter must be written specifically for this certain position, should cover all the key requirements for it and show how enthusiastic you are to get it. You need to indicate that:
- You have reviewed the position and understand fully your future responsibilities
- You strongly desire to do this job, by linking to your experience, training, choices you made in the past and things that you did.
- You are very relevant for the position
- You are capable of improving the outcome from this certain position
All of the above should put your best qualities on show and convince the employer that you are the right person for them.
There is a simple structure the motivation letter should follow:
- Clearly state the job vacancy you are applying for
- Where did you get the information about it
- When are you able to start work
- What makes you want to apply for this position
- Why the job is attractive for you
- State your abilities and why they might be of use for this position
- Relate your skills to those required for the vacancy
- State any dates or periods when you will not be available for an interview
- Thank the employer/recruiter for reading your letter and express your eagerness to hear from them soon
Here you may find some examples:
May 6, 2016
Mr. Huub Jansen
Director of Operations
Metal Constructions BV
Re: Mechanical Engineer Position (Ref. Code: 12345), advertised on Brainport-Bulgaria.com
Dear Mr. Jansen,
Your job description for a mechanical engineer perfectly matches my qualifications, and I am very interested in the opportunity.
I have enjoyed a progressively responsible engineering career with ABC manufacturing Co., and participated in the engineering of three major car model changes. I am experienced in all phases of new vehicle model development and implementation, from conception to production stages. Most recently, I have:
Contributed to major model changes for the 2008 Carname, 2007 Carname and 2006 Carname;
- Developed process plans and layouts for seven additional car models;
- Reduced ergonomic impact on production team members by designing new assist lift systems;
- Helped create estimation and calculation tool for project budgets, greatly improving negotiating power with installation contractors; and
- Built rapport with overseas colleagues, often traveling to Japan for production consultations.
In addition, I have served as lead engineer in establishing standards that have reduced costs, enhanced efficiency, improved production methods and simplified equipment and part needs.
Mr. Jansen, I have received repeated commendations from ABC Manufacturing Co. for my work quality, revenue contributions and commitment to achieving company goals, and I know I would be a valuable asset to your Dutch plant. Please feel free to contact me to arrange a meeting. I look forward to speaking with you!
James Bourchier str. 44
March 21, 2016
Dear Mrs. Smith,
Following your vacancy announcement on the website Brainport-Bulgaria.com, I am applying for this position as mechatronics engineer. Please consider my enclosed CV as well.
Since 2002, I have served as a mechatronics engineer for Action Company, where I have been repeatedly recognized for developing innovative solutions for multimillion-dollar, globally deployed software and systems. I am responsible for full lifecycle development of next-generation software, from initial requirement gathering to design, coding, testing, documentation and implementation.
Known for excellent client-facing skills, I have participated in proposals and presentations that have landed six-figure contracts. I also excel in merging business and user needs into high-quality, cost-effective design solutions while keeping within budgetary constraints.
My technical expertise includes cross-platform proficiency (Windows, Unix, Linux and VxWorks); fluency in 13 scripting/programming languages (including C, C++, VB, Java, Perl and SQL); and advanced knowledge of developer applications, tools, methodologies and best practices (including OOD, client/server architecture and self-test automation).
My experience developing user-friendly solutions on time and on budget would enable me to step into a software engineering role at XYZ Company and hit the ground running. I will follow up with you next week. I look forward to speaking with you.